There are many dreaded home issues, however a sewer one can be devastating, due to health risk and costly repairs. There is a variety of reasons to try to avoid these issues, however, until there is a major issue, most people don’t even think about sewer issues. This can lead to a variety of problems that are not always the easiest and timeliest to fix.
Here are 5 helpful tips to survive a sewer issue.
- To avoid an issue altogether do not use the toilet for anything other than it was intended for. This includes feminine hygiene products, cigaret butts, and more. These all will back up the system over time, and create potentially devastating damage.
- Do not overwork the garbage disposal. Fiber vegetable, coffee grounds, and more all great clogs. Oils also clog them, so be sure to dispose of these items in a more conducive manner. Although it may be easier to just put it down the disposable, it can create alot of damage.
- Do not use a OTC drain cleaner, as the harmful chemicals actually can create a detriment on the pipes, rather than help, and even pose a potential health risk.
- If you have a basement install a flood guard, which will keep the basement safe in the event of a leak for a relatively inexpensive cost. You will be glad you did this later.
- Get a sewer inspection every few years to make sure that everything works properly. It is better to be safe than sorry….as sewer damage can be very costly and time consuming.
Luckily there are many companies that specialize in clean up and odor control. Call us soon to inspect your pipes, and make sure everything is up to speed. Resurrection Plumbing is well reviewed, insured plumbing company up to any task. If you take proactive steps as soon as you are aware of an issue, you will minimize the likelihood of long term and costly damage.